Family and household Covid-19 testing
All adults are encouraged to test themselves twice every week from home. Regular testing for those without symptoms will help keep you, your family, and your school community safe. This testing is not for primary aged pupils and should not be used for people who have developed symptoms of Covid-19.
Lateral Flow Tests can be collected for free from pharmacies.
Make sure you and your children follow these general principles to prevent spreading any respiratory virus:
- Wash your hands often – with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, or use an alcohol-based sanitizer if soap and water aren’t available.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- If you feel unwell, stay at home and don’t attend work or school.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in a bin.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces in the home.
- If you’re worried about your symptoms, please call NHS 119 – don’t go directly to your GP or other healthcare environment.
Children might have questions about COVID-19 and are, understandably finding the current situation a challenge. Here are some specific resources that can help you support your child at this time:
- NSPCC – COVID support for families
- Young Minds – supporting your child through the pandemic
- Child Mind – supporting kids through the COVID crisis
- Government guidance on supporting mental health and wellbeing
More broadly there is information, advice and support available from national sources including:
- Childline -Tel: 0800 1111 – 9am to midnight
- The Children’s Society
- Young Minds (Advice and Mental Health Support) – Parents Helpline 0808 802 5544 (Monday to Friday 9.30am to 4.00pm, free for mobiles and landlines)
Department for Education Coronavirus helpline – this helpline has been set up to answer questions about the virus related to education. Staff, parents and young people can contact the helpline.
- Phone: 0800 046 8687
- Email: DfE.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Opening hours: 8am to 6pm (Monday to Friday)